Sunday, March 27, 2011

Susan Brubaker Knapp workshop

Last week I went to a thread sketching workshop held at Smith Mountain Lake. So much fun thread sketching a Dragon Fly. Actually I missed the point about sketching because I thread painted the thing. Neon Green. Actually he is fairly comical to look at. Susan was an excellent teacher and spent lots of one on one with the attendees. Afterwards she gave a trunk show which was very nice. I think all enjoyed the workshop and the trunk show.


I was especially interested in her painted pieces, I guess because I am a painter. The tricky part is to paint and retain the natural hand of the fabric. Lots of paints out there and techniques employed by different fiber artists. Not sure there is a solid solution. Guess I am going to have to do alot of experimentation becaue painting is what I do and enjoy. Unfortunately I am not a traditional quilter and I do not enjoy piecing hundreds of pieces together to make a quilt. I love transforming the fabric at hand into art.

I prefer using thin fusible fleece as a stabilizer when thread sketching/painting because I have less warp. Others may prefer a heavy stabilizer but I can't control the fabic warping as well with the just stabilizer.
Here is a nearly finished thread painted piece using batik, thread, and colored pencils. I sitll have to quilt and add the stars to the eyes. "They made me say peaches!


Another example of Thread Painting is a closeup of a frog piece I am working on, actually they are mutant frogs. The detail shows the difference thread painting makes. It is lots of fun using doodlling and putting all
kinds of threads here and there


.

The next image is a finished piece turned into a pillow that I made useing primary colors for an upcoming class I am teaching on color.


Think about thread painting, it is a lot of fun!