Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another Day, Another Day.

Lent continues and I am committed to my promise. Thread Painted and planned two small auction quilts one for SAQA and the other for QSDS. Nothing concrete, final design may come to me in the night, sometimes it does.
When I was in graduate school; most design problems were worked out while sleeping or cleaning. Sketching ideas has never been a practise for me because I prefer to visually work details in my mind long before I put pencil to paper. Maybe I can blame it on a whacked vivid imagination, or parallel thinking. A psychologist friend of mine told me that I stand on the line between the right and left brain. Not sure whether that is good or bad but I do know my brain is weird. My thoughts can be bizzare and my work habits are usually insane. I get a lot done when and only under intense pressure, otherwise I find ways to diddle and get nothing done.

I mentioned cleaning before and the place is has in my life. I am no neat freak, far from it, but I can not be creative in my mess either. Cleaning is a task I do before I am able to ease my brain into a creative mode. I really don't do well with distractions or sounds, including music. Anyone else around and I get slap happy. I really like to cook, but only if there is someone to cook for. If I lived alone, my diet would be tomato soup, cereal, fruit, and salad makings. I doubt I would even need a stove. Sometimes I would order Shrimp LoMein, but that would be it. No sweets in my cabinets because I would consume one bite after the other until gone. What a terrible diet, glad I don't live alone.

Currently, my to-do list is manageable, two quilts need to be quilted for my lovely daughter-in-law, two art quilts need threads, two small quilts need to be created,  and several unfinished quilts are waiting for me. I have a lot of quilt tops that need just one more border and then they would be ready for quilting. I don't do well once the creative mode is broken whether a quilt or painting. I really need to start and finish a project or I whine and grummble if I have to go back and finish some time later. That may explain why there are so many UFOs stacking up in neat plastic boxes.