Monday, January 27, 2014

Thumb CMC Arthroplasty & Carpel Tunnel - Oh yeah finally!

Crazy me, on the 8th, I finally had a long over-do surgery on my right thumb and hand...before the surgery I went online and found a u-tube video on my type of surgery which I was only able to watch part of it before I felt faint and nauseous. Never pre-view an upcoming surgery. I canceled the surgery twice before it was done. I am not a lightweight to orthopedic procedures or surgeries. Starting in 1984, after a near fatal car accident and leading up to date, I am now at 19 surgeries, some simple,some more complex. This surgery caused more anxiety than any. My only reasoning is that perhaps to me, my hands and their output defines me? Now to a rational person, this may sound a bit ridiculous, but to me it is fact.

The stitches come out next week, 4 sets of stitches, each about 2 inches long. I makes me dizzy to even think about it. Three days after surgery I had to go to the emergency room because I was experiencing the most excruciating nerve pain on the opposite area of my hand. The swelling was so much that it was crushing a nerve, once the bandage came off, "oh what a relief it was". A visit to the ER is a mission only ventured by the fool or desperate. I was desperate. Can't wait to fill out that survey.

The overall post-op pain has been manageable, my biggest issue is not being able to use my right hand. How do you fasten up your jeans? You don't! Lots of you don'ts.

Prior to the surgery my rt. thumb was swollen and hurt with any use. If and when I did use it, there was always a throbbing goose egg swelling where the thumb attaches to the hand. Watch the surgery u-tube, this is the area that is scooped out the joint and replaced with balled up tendon. Totally gross. Why I waited is totally nuts. Along with the thumb job, I had carpel tunnel surgery done too. A friend who was in graduate school with me over 20 years ago, mentioned I had carpel tunnel even then....Did I say I was Stupid?

This post is for others out there, do not prolong your suffering as I did. As a result, I have done very little art in the past few years. What idiot does this? I had to wait until it got so bad that I could not hold a brush or needle for 3 seconds without stabbing pain. Stupid.

I have dropped so many things because my grip was not dependable. In the last 4 years I have broken 6 butter dishes, other things on a daily basis and unfortunately dropped wine, tea and other beverages all over places. I now have to use a Sippy cup at my cousins because she doesn't trust me. She almost croaked when I dropped red wine on her white carpet. I'm not too fond of white carpet anyway.