Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vickie's Tempest at it's worse!

This silk painting done over 20 years ago with Vickie has been waiting for more. She recently brought it back wanting more. No idea on how to progress because this piece in no way is typical for me. I love primary color and this piece was done using pastels. Created in our younger days, with the help of wine and lots of laughter, Vickie instructed me to draw and which colors fit her color scheme at the moment. Not sure why I would ever paint anything to match something else is beyond me. Why I would use pastels is way beyond me. I am all about strong rich color, primaries that force one to feel energy, never pansy pastels.

I dread having to return to an unfinished piece. It is the creative process that moves me, not the finished art piece. I find it dreadful to go backwards; going backwards forces me to be analytical and seems to shut down my right brain, calling on my left-brain to be creative which is not possible. When not in my creative mindset, finding myself working out of my left-brain, it all becomes work, total dreadful work.
Vickie's Tempest
Vickie's Tempest Edited
As luck would have it, SAQA’s Sandra Sider and Lisa Chipetine were offering a critique so the image was sent for insight and ideas. It needed new eyes, although I hadn’t seen the piece in over 20 years, it was in no way fresh or offering any opportunities to me. Enough whining about “Vickie’s Tempest”, now that I have ideas passed on to me by the critique. Suggestions were to treat the piece as an underwater scene, layering organza and wavy quilting patterns. Wonderful ideas and now I am generated and the piece may be completed before another 20 years passes. Now off to create an underwater tempest, that should keep me entertained for a few days.